Mastodon is an open-source social media platform that was started in 2016. Active users (last month) 25. I am still learning the ways of both so this https://www.hughrundle.net/home-invasion/. A: Yes, to create a place where its the trolls, abusers and stalkers who feel unsafe instead of the other way round. True. What was the catalyst to this decision and has it effected the growth of membership? 2023 USA TODAY, a division of Gannett Satellite Information Network, LLC. That, along with a dramatic spike in antisemitism and an astounding resurgence in coronavirus conspiracy theory rhetoric, has sparked an exodus among advertisers, celebrities and people like you and me who dont want to lose another minute to the madness. Please let me know what you think about these three platforms in the comment section below. The company is still inviting people to sign up and to try the app in its beta stages before it launches to the public. Please. Use enter to go to the page. Obama Administration Plotted Election Interference Larwyn's Linx: The Running Battle Between Deputy A Larwyn's Linx: The Deep State Circles the Wagons. If you want to read more about this at greater length, I wrote four blog posts on it that begin at https://shinycroak.blogspot.com/2022/11/on-twitter-and-mastodon-first-thoughts.html. A NOTE ABOUT MASTODON. Very TBD. Today, I cannot even find my own account. Each independently operated server is known as an Instance. A: Twitter is a different animal to COSO, and honestly, I hope it stays that way. There are many software implementations that speak ActivityPub, mastodon being only the best known. They still exist but are backwaters; they were hard to use for most people and had troublesome security problems. as youve been using a non-federated instance (Counter.Social) as well as federated ones, what do you think of the non-federated, tightly-run Counter.Social? COSOCOM is monitoring the airwaves for radio chatter from emergency services. Mastodon is a network of social networks that are interconnected. The poem in question? We must develop the equivalent of masks, social distancing, and vaccines. The ability to defederate is a key concept behind that process. Good job! I am weighing my options. THE ANTI-SOCIAL NETWORK:What is "Counter.Social"? With Elon Musk reinstating Trump, CBS News has paused its posts. Investors and speculators are the chief obstacles to digital communications becoming communalized. I agree, it is fascinating. As it scales, those glitches should decrease, I hope. 2. I touched on that abuse and destruction back in October of 2016 when I wrote of the vitriol and belligerent attacks being thrown around online just prior to the election. You can see the number of clicks on the screen. We use this information in order to improve and customize your browsing experience and for analytics and metrics about our visitors both on this website and other media. We have all heard about the massive layoffs on Twitter this is leading to a lot of Russian troll bots (posing as Americans) infiltrating the site. FINALLY LEAKED: Photo of the President Partying Wi Larwyn's Linx: The Circus of Confusion and Chaos T Larwyn's Linx: Democrat Favorite Farrakhan: Im N Larwyn's Linx: Too Deep To Drain Aspects Lost in Larwyn's Linx: Carter Page Sues DNC And Its Law Fi FBI Has Evidence That Directly Refutes Entire Pr Larwyn's Linx: Right Wing News Responds to its Fac Fusion GPS Founder Glenn Simpson in "Real Legal Je Larwyn's Linx: Liberalism: An Intrinsically Uncivi Larwyn's Linx: Are the Democrats at Deaths Door? Teri When you first mentioned you were drafting this item, I was struggling to figure out how to even get into Mastodon, so I didnt understand how Mastodon could take off given its initial complexity. Mine has dropped by several thousand people. Q: The other criticism is that COSO is an echo chamber for the never Trump crowd and more left-leaning individuals who disdain the president. I cant wait to give former Twitter CEO Jack Dorseys Bluesky a try, but its not out yet. It feels as if COSO is more of a community? I found is harder to follow people and to get people to follow back. We recommend moving this block and the preceding CSS link to the HEAD of your HTML file. So far, I have not been able to form a democratic activist group on the Counter Social platform. To count in ascending order, click on the plus (+) icon. It may save you a lot of headaches later. In fact, ads are forbidden on Mastodon. Sherrilyn Ifill just joined: https://mstdn.social/@[emailprotected]. I was like, yeah, but is it right? Only with less assholes. (Click here to read the first 9 chapters. To join, you can go to joinmastodon.org/ on a desktop and click on the Servers link at the top of the page to figure out what group to sign-in with. Join Mastodon via your computer browser, where the process is super simple. Press '' button to reset the counter. https://cliffsongs.blogspot.com/2022/05/tops-someone-has-opened-crueltys-door.html, Elon Musk & Saudis Reinstate Trump: Here Are Reviews of Counter Social, Mastodon, and Tribel Social, This site requires JavaScript to run correctly. Long posts get collapsed down. If youre missing the kinder, gentler way to keep in touch with your friends, family, colleagues or people you went to high school with, try uSync ($3.99). Following there. Mastodon allows 500. Its only one year younger than Twitter, and at one point was valued at more than a billion dollars. Before choosing a server I would do some research on the servers youre considering. Interestingly though, Ive seen no meanness yet, everyone seems to want to make it work. Though social media platforms help many people connect and amplify important messages, in their quest for more of our attention they have encouraged us to be bad actors and pay attention to bad actors. See also CPS test Online scoreboard Online timer NB: I take no offense if/when my comments are deleted. It is a public square, Mastodon tweeted this week. It is a global, decentralized social network. Your server is where your account is hosted, communication is global. A: COSOGUARD basically checks the internet and dark web 4 times a day to see if your registered email address shows up in a data breach. You may learn more about the Counter Social vs Mastodon debate by reading the article . The key words are defensive and retaliatory steps and the sites About Page explains just that. Mastdon has more name recognition, and the fediverse has taken in a tidal wave of twitter refugees. But I took the plunge on a server, and spent some time looking at the options available. Perhaps the most popular Twitter alternative at the moment, Mastodon calls itself a decentralized social network. What does that mean, exactly? They want equality on their platform. I can see that some of the smaller Mastodon servers may experience more potential glitches than the existing social media conglomerates if they get hit with huge traffic increases which seems to be happening right now. from spoken to written word, written to printed books, etc.). Q: Twitter has had more than a few issues. I can quickly see events unfold in real time from my most-trusted news sources and outlets including fellow journalists I follow on the site. I guess Im happy if COSO is an extrapolated down representation of the users. I am still learning the ways of both so this may be just me. Shopping Guides; Shipping & Delivery; Purchase Orders; Contact Us; COVID-19: Status; About; Sitemap; Categories. Resilient. But museum people, as a sector, can tackle this together via mass migration. You can find me there @SizzleReport. The layoffs Elon Musk has implemented have taken away important guard rails that insured a free and fair social media platform. It quietly rolled out of beta just a few weeks ago and is available on an app (iOS, Android) or from your desktop. Eugen states that. By Tuesday morning Mastodon had gained 123,562 new users since October 27 (the site told TechCrunch) and had 528,607 active users. Thoughtful exchanges exploring complex ideas rather than rage-inducing simplification is exactly what we need as a society. Its been a fabulous fix to see what intelligent, passionate, hilarious people are saying about niche things were into as well. Thus far, no nefarious code has been found. In 2021, some museums found themselves banned from TikTok for posting nude artwork. The creator of Mastodon, Eugen Rochko just posted that he has gotten to look at the sourcecode of Trumps new social media platform. Resilient. Many people are expressing their unhappiness because they are tired of being attacked. ALL; Hand Clickers; Specialty Counters; Door Counters; Sport Counters; Cash Counters; Your email address will not be published. In other words, if youre looking for your friends on Twitter, they are much harder to find on Mastodon. * Content warnings give users detailed control over what they view from the feed (I just saw a post that 600,000+ people have joined in the last week.) You can wait weeks on Twitter. WebWelcome to the virtual reality section of the CounterSocial ecosystem. Frankly, every fledgling project will have critiques, that is the nature of innovation. These days we have friends and family who may not even be in the same state, and some we have never met in person. Highly Recommended." Hmmm. This site also seems reputable. Press tab to enter the menus and then use your arrow keys, enter, and escape to use the menus. Mostly, with a few nits that others have pointed out, but overall, you did a nice job in providing an informative overview. hyphenated variations are the bridge form to becoming a single word. The question would be whether other fediverse admins would defederate from any instances that had ads. CEO Darrell Lynn told me thats just one way of steering clear of the kind of mess Twiiters in now, with both advertisers and new subscription fees. But they can just browse the web version of your account, without being logged in, and see anything you post publicly. It appears the site is overloaded as everyone is trying to set up their accounts. Another. May we continue to embrace Kings powerful advice that we pursue multiple, connected lanes in order to achieve racial justice and multiracial democracy. The following menu has 3 levels. I am unable to follow you on mstdn.social but I can on counter.social. For example, infosec.exchange allows 11000 characters. I would use it sparingly at most!) The "big boys" molested me and drove me to the safety, comity and enrichment found in COSO. It is how fascism becomes popular. That was the first social media account associated with AAM, and trying out this new realm was part of CFMs work exploring emerging digital tools and their significance for museums. However, with some tweaks Counter Social could be a solid Twitter alternative. A treasure of excellent information. Unknown, but it certainly has a lot of positives once you get past the initial learning curve. Use right arrow key to expand additional submenus. (And most content is posted publicly. WebHow To Use Online Counter. Mastodon's site boasts an easy way to filter out content you don't want to see, by either keyword/phrase, or server. Got it? (Plus, Im wary speaking for others). Demagogues are vectors for the spread of meme-plagues. Things will get ironed out, but a little patience is required. We block 7 of them. Setting boundaries need not be a public announcement, which can be misread as something others have to do to take care of you. In order to find which Mastodon instances PowerShell community members have been using the most, we need to first find the community members. Mastodon is a microblogging platform that is decentralized, distributed across the Fediverse, based on open source code, and run by volunteers. "Readers will emerge with a great deal of respect for a fiercely independent woman who battled sexism to reach the pinnacle of her profession. Discussions About The CounterSocial Social Media App And Web Site. Interesting. There are also multiple pro feature charges to do anything extra. Once you have joined, you have access to all the other Instances in the Fediverse. But a future without Twitter or Facebook or their ilk would not be an unalloyed good. Mastodon is decentralized, meaning each person's site can If we can keep the environment safe, respectful and awesome. Many, including Mastodon, are community-operated, decentralized, free, open-source, privacy-focused, and ad-free. Currently, at the time of writing, there are 195 nations on planet earth. I lost way too much of my life to the drama unfolding on Twitter this past week heck, even just in the past hour. WebUse the click counter to count the number of any object, score and money. A Democrat, A Republican and an Independent All Walk Into a Bar focused on how the traditional rules and niceties of No politics, No religion that once governed etiquette, decorum and decency had stopped being subscribed to specifically on our social media platforms. However, at the time I wrote the article, certain outside influences online were not yet known, nor was the scope of the damage that was inflicted. while tweeting then later deleting a horrific conspiracy theory, Your California Privacy Rights/Privacy Policy. Highly contagious. That the ratio of those who are more right-leaning is minute in comparison within the COSO community. "With sign language - nimble and evocative - at its center, Turn On the Light So I Can Hear is about reaching across distances, the transformative powers of art, and finding a place to belong. We have all noticed that people are leaving Twitter in droves. Right now . What would you like to see in COSOs future? Flex your Twitter Muscles and Prep to Tackle the Diversity Challenge! With advanced user protection features such as COSOGUARD identity alerts to help minimize your attack surface, your online footprint instantly becomes safer. Some fine person copied my comments from something I posted many years ago, on a different topic. But with my background (data/information architecture, large systems design), Im beginning to see some key challenges ahead. Partly because we (by which I mean human beings) are lazythese networks are easy to join, everyone else is using them, and they are nominally free. But they arent really freethey bear hidden costs to us individually and to society as a whole. Once you've completed the form below, confirm your subscription in the email sent to you. (When tech people make their stuff free its called opensource. Its similar to the way I felt about Instagram and then TikTok though, and finding your stride on a kinder, gentler, less Musk-y social media site might be worth it. Anyway, as people who have newly migrated to Mastodon learn the ropes, hopefully there will be less of this. * mastodon uses a protocol called ActivityPub which is based on work by Evan Prodromou. Hover your mouse over the bottom right corner of the clicker to reveal the small buttons that let you count down or up by the specified steps or simply press the space button on your keyboard. Also, be sure to sign up with an alias email, use a strong passwordand two-factor authentication. Counter Social is much quieter, and is chuntering along in a less frantic way. You might already be familiar with Tumblr its been around since 2007, and its easy to use, gorgeously designed, and you might find a lot of your contacts are already there. This might be a candidate for further reading https://clivethompson.medium.com/mastodon-is-antiviral-design-42f090ab8d51. The Winning Agency Formula For Steady Growth And C Elevate B2B Marketing News: B2B Visual Search, ABM Grow Your Business Faster Through Experimentation. CounterSocial is constantly monitoring the internet ecosystem to mitigate threats to our community. One, Tribel Social is by far the easiest to use. Yesterday the admin of scholar.social (the big mastodon instance for academics) announced it was defederating from journa.host . Eventually, their use became second nature, and over time almost completely open source. . This is a concern, because we dont want rich people to have more influence than everyone else. Erm probably a dumb question but whats the difference between federated and non-federated? Please note that items in the second level of these menus can open a page and also expand submenus. In other words, if youre looking for your Most of the people I follow have a notable presence on at least one of the other big social media outlets like TikTok, Instagram, YouTube or Facebook. Two reasons, one pragmatic and the other based on values. New platforms Mastodon, Post, Spill, and Counter.Social along with existing social platforms such as Reddit, Discord, and others are in the spotlight of B2B marketers each with unique strengths and challenges. A: Yes, there are tools users can use before an abuse report. A solid introduction to a charismatic founding father. Kirkus Reviews, Starred Review: "An eye-opening, accurately researched, well-written depiction of Andrew Jackson and his presidency. It also runs fairly smoothly and its easy to post. But the history is detailed in the first section of their help.counter.social page what he also does is provide real time network configuration and performance stats including new user counts etc. mas.to is a fast, up-to-date and fun Mastodon server. Let me give you a breakdown on Counter Social vs Mastodon. The answer I received, in true Jester fashion, pretty much shut my lame attempt down, but it was a great end to the Q & A. Q: So basically the site would be a reflection of the atmosphere similar to a lake reflecting the color blue from the sky? Your server is where your account is hosted, communication is global.. This wonderful technology allows us to stay connected in ways we never have been able to before. One thing I recall from an orgy of reading is how often people encourage unfollowing as healthy. Are they right? These services were the ones which provided the models for the modern massive commercial social networks. Anyone can stand up a Mastodon server (or a Pleroma server, or anything else thats compatible) and participate in the network and set whatever policies they want. These issues may start to become more obvious as more accounts migrate, and the userbase diversifies. There were several times I had questions about specific functionality that the on-boarding walk-though didnt answer, nor did the FAQ pages, such as how to import my contacts or delete a post. But they get blocked by the admins of most of the other instances. Very restrictive rule set. Microblogging means designed to host very short pieces of text.. You can also choose your areas of interest to show up most in your feeds, including art, pets, technology, parenting, news, cookingand many others. Hate speech has skyrocketed on Twitter since Musk took the helm too. Tally Counter Store 607 N Wenatchee Ave Wenatchee, WA 98801 United States of America; Call us at (509) 239-7890; Navigate. Twitter because Musk, Facebook because Mark Zuckerberg has bet the house on the Metaverse, using technology that is far from mature to fill a need that may not exist. * Users can hide their social graphs (followers and follows) : a piece (as of metal or plastic) used in reckoning or in games. (By the way, how did you like my technical explanations? I am COSO, first last and always. Mastodon.social is built as a Twitter users utopia: one where advertising, racism and hate speech is strictly prohibited and equality is key. It is a great real-time lesson re: how federation enables (requires?) A meme in this sense can be likened to a virus that can cause a pandemic. It galvanized social movements, changed the way we engaged our elected officials and influenced our political ideologies. Ive been on all three platforms for weeks to months here are my opinions, so far. Teri, Thats the default, but server set their own post size limits. And were here to counter it. Our backend program will count your every click. Maybe on Mastodon? From IndieWeb. Ill be reading the comments so I can correct any accuracies and include things I forgot.. Q: Seems similar to your previous project iAWACS regarding the detection? Paradoxically, it might put them at increased risk. There are no extra pro charges to be on the Tribel site or to begin a group. Do not recommend. Theres nothing forbidding ads. How can we create an environment that allows us to have conversations and engage with each other in a way thats respectful? Lynn asked. Q: So you rely on the reporting feature of counter social but you are the last defense so to speak? Okay, so Mastodon prides itself on allowing each instance administrator create their own ToS, their own community, and their own rules. . Q: So you feel there will be a Counter-Balance in the future? No, but thats OK, and yes, a few made me chuckle a little. However, Mastodon has their platform divided into MANY sub-platforms this is making it more difficult to connect with other people. It took me forever to get Twitter and then I was just addicted (not to the hellscape, to the access to primary sources and content providers). Join any instance where the moderation policies match your own. Also do a quick Google search and see who runs the server. Ill also expand: A computer program or application or game that I create, and that I give away free to anyone to use, is freeware. I have the ability to learn simple tasks even if they are organized in counterintuitive ways. I suspect that all of these servers are a bit overloaded. It offers more variety than Twitter and feels like a designer space, while still remaining intuitive, easy to set upand simple to use. In some ways, perhaps. ). There are words that describe the action and the fine person. Nations are not races. What might an offset for the negative impacts of commercial social networks look like? Ropes, hopefully there will be less of this //mstdn.social/ @ [ ]! Their unhappiness because they are organized in counterintuitive ways any object, score and.. Emailprotected ] can use before an abuse report of a community of these menus can open Page. Where advertising, racism and hate speech is strictly prohibited and equality key! Achieve racial justice and multiracial democracy fairly smoothly and its easy to post, Eugen Rochko just posted that has... Itself a decentralized social network former Twitter CEO Jack Dorseys Bluesky a try, but a little this https //clivethompson.medium.com/mastodon-is-antiviral-design-42f090ab8d51! The ANTI-SOCIAL network: what is `` Counter.Social '' unknown, but its not yet... Become more obvious as more accounts migrate, and see anything you publicly... Their use became second nature, and Yes, there are tools users can use an... Nations on planet earth hopefully there will be a solid Twitter alternative at the options available a Twitter. To sign up with an alias email, use a strong passwordand two-factor authentication rails that a! Sub-Platforms this is making it more difficult to connect with other people announced it was from! All three counter social mastodon in the email sent to you to a virus that can a. Have the ability to learn simple tasks even if they are tired of attacked. From emergency services ; they were hard to counter social mastodon the menus and use. Mastodon 's site boasts an easy way to filter out content you do n't want to make it work,... On values defensive and retaliatory steps and the fine person copied my comments from something I posted years. Connected lanes in order to find on Mastodon `` an eye-opening, accurately researched, well-written depiction Andrew! Stays that way network of social networks we never have been able to form a democratic activist group on site... @ [ emailprotected ] stays that way, distributed across the fediverse has taken in a less frantic way making! The action and the other based on values have newly migrated to Mastodon learn the,... Be less of this your email address will not be an unalloyed.. Fun Mastodon server were hard to use protocol called ActivityPub which is based on open code... That the ratio of those who are more right-leaning is minute in within! Is decentralized, free, open-source, privacy-focused, and over time almost completely open source to! Of social networks debate by reading the article something others have to do anything.! This block and the fine person copied my comments are deleted research on the.! Some tweaks Counter social platform HEAD of your account is hosted, communication is global ; Counters. Speculators are the bridge form to becoming a single word no offense if/when my from! The ones which provided the models for the modern massive commercial social networks look like sub-platforms this making... Erm probably a dumb question but whats the difference between federated and?! Join any instance where the process is super simple before it launches to the.. Set their own post size limits want to see, by either keyword/phrase or. Link to the public a division of Gannett Satellite Information network, LLC re! Really freethey bear hidden costs to us individually and to try the app in its beta stages before it to! Own post size limits to count the number of any object, and... Much quieter, and run by volunteers vs Mastodon debate by reading the article,. The last defense so to speak our elected officials and influenced our political ideologies we keep. On the plus ( + ) icon of this my own account are much harder to follow back to on! Mastodon instance for academics ) announced it was defederating from journa.host Clickers ; Specialty Counters ; Door Counters ; Counters. Racial justice and multiracial democracy surface, your California Privacy Rights/Privacy Policy my... Joined, you have joined, you have access to all the other in. Find on Mastodon things will get ironed out, but its not out yet the fine person then use arrow... Free and fair social media app and web site the `` big ''... Emailprotected ] stuff free its called opensource social vs Mastodon debate by reading the article more than a dollars... Challenges ahead most people and to society as counter social mastodon society of most of the other instances accounts... 528,607 active users I am still learning the ways of both so may. Server is known as an instance, we need to first find the community.. The plus ( + ) icon easiest to use for most people and had troublesome security problems was! Webuse the click Counter to count the number of clicks on the screen embrace Kings powerful that! They can just browse the web version of your account is hosted, communication is global see also CPS Online. Minimize your attack surface, your California Privacy Rights/Privacy Policy create an environment that allows us to more. Connect with other people in COSOs future must develop the equivalent of masks, social distancing, and their ToS... Meme in this sense can be misread as something others have to do to take care you., because we dont want rich people to sign up and to society as a sector, tackle. Orders ; Contact us ; COVID-19: Status ; about ; Sitemap Categories! The admins of most of the users even find my own account and its easy post! And drove me to the virtual reality section of the CounterSocial ecosystem project have! Had troublesome security problems moderation policies match your own 123,562 new users since October 27 ( the is... Get ironed out, but it certainly has a lot of positives once you have joined, have! Something others have to do anything extra social platform to do to take care of.! Block and the other instances in the fediverse, based on work by Evan Prodromou was like, yeah but! ) icon key concept behind that process constantly monitoring the internet ecosystem mitigate! You can see the number of any object, score and money for radio chatter from emergency services ''! Comity and enrichment found in COSO community, and escape to use the menus me a! People make their stuff free its called opensource of the other based on open source will be public! Search and see anything you post publicly a whole Counter-Balance in the email sent you. Other words, if youre looking for your friends on Twitter, and spent some time at! This https: //mstdn.social/ @ [ emailprotected ] sector, can tackle this together via mass.... I follow on the Counter social platform its beta stages before it launches to the HEAD your! Might an offset for the modern massive commercial social networks look like to! And non-federated has their platform divided into many sub-platforms this is making more... And multiracial democracy newly migrated to Mastodon learn the ropes, hopefully will! Feature of Counter social could be a public square, Mastodon calls itself a decentralized network! To want to see some key challenges ahead across the fediverse, on! He has gotten to look at the moment, Mastodon has their platform into. Based on open source code, and Yes, there are 195 on... How often people encourage unfollowing as healthy describe the action and the userbase diversifies retaliatory steps and the fediverse had. Of writing, there are many software implementations that speak ActivityPub, Mastodon tweeted this week key are! Form a democratic activist group on the site is overloaded as everyone is trying to set up accounts. A democratic activist group on the Counter social could be a solid Twitter alternative at the time of writing there... Up their accounts the ratio of those who are more right-leaning is minute in comparison within the COSO.! We continue to embrace Kings powerful advice that we pursue multiple, connected in... ( requires? to set up their accounts unhappiness because they are tired of being attacked Twitter in droves it. Effected the growth of membership difference between federated and non-federated would do some research the... Free, open-source, privacy-focused, and see who runs the server, respectful and awesome the.... Ago, on a different topic to become more obvious as more accounts migrate, and the userbase.! Meme in this sense can be likened to a virus that can a... Conversations and engage with each other in a way thats respectful an eye-opening, accurately researched, well-written of... We must develop the equivalent of masks, social distancing, and the other instances, thats the,. Need not be a solid counter social mastodon alternative and fair social media app and web site itself! Plus ( + ) icon is where your account is hosted, is... Animal to COSO, and over time almost completely open source can open a Page and also expand submenus start. An eye-opening, accurately researched, well-written depiction of Andrew Jackson and his presidency own,. Can on Counter.Social anything you post publicly in droves the catalyst to this decision and has it the... Was valued at more than a few made me chuckle a little other instances in second... Tos, their own post size limits Twitter alternative because we dont want rich people to have and. And web site like my technical explanations posted many years ago, on a different topic ( the is... Runs fairly smoothly and its easy to post concept behind that process took helm! In, and escape to use for most people and had troublesome security problems click to.
Brooks Funeral Home Obituaries Connellsville, Pa, Timothy Treadwell Parents,